What is a capsule wardrobe you ask? This is a fashion term which has been around for years (since the 1970’s in fact) but one I’ve only recently come to understand. Continue reading to find out what a capsule wardrobe actually is and the easiest tips to get started on creating your own capsule wardrobe.
Defining a Capsule Wardrobe
My recent appreciation for all things Pinterest has made it super easy to learn about Capsule Wardrobing (a phrase I coined myself, may I add). A quick search will bring up tons of Capsule Wardrobe boards to get you started. Wikipedia defines a Capsule Wardrobe as “a collection of a few essential items of clothing that will not go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces.” That pretty much sums it up. While I love shopping the latest trends I definitely have some items in my wardrobe which I can use to transition from season to season by pairing with different styles. What I really like about the idea of a Capsule Wardrobe is the fact that this will literally save you so much time! You can spend more time accessorising and focusing on the statement pieces in your outfit by having your key pieces easily to hand that will go with every look.
Tips for Creating a Capsule Wardrobe
- Do a wardrobe clear out – What better way to start your capsule wardrobe journey than having a good old fashioned Spring clean. De-clutter your wardrobe so that you can easily find your key fashion pieces and keep these to one side as you come across them.
- Identify the type of Capsule Wardrobe you want to create – you can create one overall capsule wardrobe which will take you through every season or alternatively you could build a seasonal capsule wardrobe. For instance I am currently working on building my Summer Capsule Wardrobe (comment down below if you would like me to share it here when I’ve finished!). Alternatively you could have an office Capsule Wardrobe or a party Capsule Wardrobe. It’s totally up to you.
- Make a list – Oh I do love a good list! Write down the various clothing items you want to include in your capsule wardrobe and tick them off.
- Decide on how many of each item you want to include in your Capsule Wardrobe – For instance if you are more of a shoe lover then you will more likely than not want a higher number of shoes in your capsule wardrobe. Personally I’m such a denim girl so I undoubtedly will have tons of jeans in my Capsule Wardrobe. Narrowing them down; now that’s when the fun starts.
- Think about the trends that never go out of fashion – By that I mean those fashion trends we see re-appearing every season – neutrals, suede, denim, monochrome, stripes…you get the idea!
What to Include in your Capsule Wardrobe
Now for the exciting part! Twenty key items to add to your Capsule Wardrobe:
Have you ever created a Capsule Wardrobe? Share your experience in the comments below or let me know if you are thinking of building one. Let’s do this together 🙂
Connect with Bec Boop
Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Bloglovin’ // Youtube
See my disclaimer for more information regarding samples, sponsored posts & affiliate links.